Native American and Indigenous Studies (2018 - 2020)
The minor in Native American and Indigenous studies requires five 4-point courses (20 points) completed with a grade of C or better, as follows:
- Introduction to Native American and Indigenous Studies: The Politics of Indigeneity (SCA-UA 747)
- Four additional 4-point courses, one of which must address Native American or Indigenous communities in a historical context. Courses must be approved by the director.
Policies Applying to the Minor
Courses graded Pass/Fail do not count toward the minor.
Students may count up to two Indigenous language courses toward the minor.
Students may double count up to two NAIS minor courses toward their major or another minor, so long as each department or program agrees.
Students may petition the director as follows:
- To count one College Core Curriculum course toward the minor (see list of approved courses).
- To count one related internship course toward the minor.
- To count one Gallatin course (and only one) toward the minor.
- To count a course that does not focus on NAIS but is relevant to a student’s academic interest in the field. For example, if a student wishes to focus on gender and sexuality in Native American and/or Indigenous communities, the director might allow the student to count one course in gender and sexuality studies toward the minor.