Registration, Advisement, and Counseling


The College Advising Center (Silver Center, 100 Washington Square East, Room 905) provides advising, academic services, and information on registration throughout the year. Any student with a question or problem is invited to come to the office or to call 212-998-8130 and ask for assistance. Office hours are weekdays from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. (Thursdays until 6 p.m.). Students complete their initial registration through Albert, the University's web regis­tration system, at Students also use Albert to make later adjustments to their schedule.

Continuing Students

Students currently enrolled in the College register early for the following semester—in November for the spring term and in April for the fall term. Students who are currently enrolled or on an official leave of absence receive notifica­tion of the date and time when they can register. Before registering, students plan a provisional schedule and put it in the "shopping cart" function of Albert. They also discuss their program and courses with their adviser, who then clears them for registration. At the appointed time or thereafter, students access Albert to register. Students must complete registra­tion by paying their tuition and fees. Online tuition statements and payment options are available through the Office of the Bursar.

New Students

Newly admitted students receive detailed instructions about orientation and registration, as well as the name and contact information of an adviser in the College Advising Center who assists them in academic planning, course selection, and registration. Transfer students with a declared major also have an opportunity to discuss their program with a faculty member in their chosen major department.

For preregistration immunization requirements, please see "immunization requirements" in the academic policies section of this Bulletin.


College Advising Center

The College Advising Center (Silver Center, 100 Washington Square East, Room 905; 212-998-8130; offers a wide range of services and programs designed to meet the needs of a diverse student body. The advisers serve as a basic source of information about the degree requirements, policies, and procedures of the College. Academic and career development workshops are sponsored or cosponsored to assist students in planning academic programs, choosing a major, and negotiating registration. In addition, vari­ous cocurricular educational opportunities, from informal faculty talks to seminars and lectures, are arranged through the center. Support programs are available for African American and Latino students; interna­tional students; undecided students; and freshmen, sophomores, juniors, and seniors.

Advisers also meet individually with students who want to discuss concerns or questions they may be having about the University. The advisers serve as a liaison with other offices and can make referrals when appropriate. The College Advising Center is thus the best place for students to visit when they are unsure of where to go for help. It is open weekdays from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. (Thursdays until 6 p.m.).

Questions about cross-registration in other schools of the University, combined degree programs, and the College Core Curriculum may be brought to the College Advising Center and Academic Resource Center or ARC (18 Washington Place). Please also see the sections on the College Core Curriculum and preprofessional, accelerated, and specialized programs in this Bulletin.

First-Year Students

All first-year students participate in the College Cohort Program (CCP). The CCP begins with a virtual advising and registration process during the early summer, including selection of a Freshman Seminar, which is required for all CAS first-year students. The Freshman Seminar determines placement in a small advising cohort. There is also an extensive academic orientation and introduction to the CCP during Welcome Week.

During fall of the first year, cohorts come together every other week for a "cohort meeting," where they work closely with their academic adviser and a college leader (an upperclass mentor) exploring topics which form a foundation for exploring and engaging in the variety of academic and cultural offerings at NYU, through NYC, and within the Global Network University. Students can meet as often as they would like with their advisers individually outside the context of the cohort meeting and are required to meet for individual advising appointments prior to registration for the following semester. Cohorts continue meeting on a monthly basis through the spring semester of the first year. The assigned CAS adviser remains available to students throughout their undergraduate experience, and serves as the primary source for academic advising until the student declares a major.

Transfer Students

Advising for students who are transferring to CAS from another college or university begins once the College is notified that they have accepted admission. Students begin with a virtual advising and registration process which includes direct contact with an academic advisor who can interpret the transfer credit report, assist with course selection, and answer all questions about degree requirements and registration.

Transfer students are also invited to a special orientation session which provides additional information needed to make a smooth transition into the College. CAS advisers lead these sessions along with current upperclassmen who serve as student resources throughout the orientation and transition.

Transfer students participate in the College Cohort Program (CCP) and are assigned an academic advisor within the College Advising Center. Transfer students approaching junior standing must also declare a major and meet with an assigned adviser in the major department in order to ensure that appropriate course selections for the following semester are being made.

Departmental Advisement

Students who have declared a major go to their major's department for their primary advisement. All declared majors must have their registration approved by a departmental adviser. Departmental advisers can also be consulted throughout the academic year about graduate study and career opportunities. Office hours for departmental advisers are maintained in the departmental offices.


The College of Arts and Science operates Learning Centers in the Academic Resource Center or ARC (18 Washington Place) and University Hall (110 East 14th Street, UHall Commons). The Learning Centers provide extensive academic support services, free of charge, to students in all divisions of the University who take courses in the College. With their highly visible and accessible settings, they serve to link academics with students' residential and campus lives. Services offered by the centers include the following:

  • Individual and group tutoring sessions
  • Examination review sessions
  • Study skills assessment and academic skills workshops

For further information on services, offerings, and schedules at the ULC, please visit


Counseling and Behavioral Health Services (CBH) at the College of Arts and Science is open between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m., Monday through Friday, in the Silver Center, 100 Washington Square East, Room 920. The walk-in hour is 2 p.m. to 3 p.m. daily; no appointment is necessary. Counseling services are free on a voluntary basis for any full- or part-time student enrolled in the College. When necessary, medication and outside referrals are available. All conversa­tions are kept strictly confidential. CBH/ CAS counseling staff members provide assistance in workshops, as well as in group and individual psychotherapy.

The social and emotional conflicts that occur in a person's life occasionally prevent him or her from functioning optimally. Concerns about interpersonal relationships, poor grades or other academic problems, feelings of inadequacy, anxiety, loneliness, sexual problems, eating disorders, substance abuse, and family and/or marriage conflicts are difficulties any individual might encounter. CBH/CAS counselors provide an atmosphere where personal concerns can be examined and discussed freely and confidentially. Call 212-998-8150 or visit the center for information or to make an appointment.

Students are also encouraged to contact and visit NYU Counseling and Wellness at 726 Broadway, 4th Floor, Suite 471; 212-998-4780. NYU's Wellness Exchange offers a 24-hour hotline: 212-443-9999.


Various Department of Veterans Affairs programs provide educational benefits for spouses, sons, and daughters of deceased or permanently disabled veterans, as well as for veterans and in-service personnel, subject to certain restrictions. Under most programs, the student pays tuition and fees at the time of registration but will receive a monthly allowance from Veterans Affairs. (This applies to Chapters 30, 35, and 106 only.)

Veterans with service-connected disabilities may qualify for educational benefits under Chapter 31. Applicants for this program are required to submit to the Department of Veterans Affairs a letter of acceptance from the college they wish to attend. Upon meeting the requirements, the Department of Veterans Affairs will assign a case manager who will issue an Authorization for Education (VA Form 22-1905), which must be presented to the Office of the University Registrar before registering for course work. The form can be scanned and e-mailed to

Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH) is usually sent directly to veterans by the Department of Veterans Affairs. Veterans and eligible dependents should contact the Office of the University Registrar each term for which they desire Veterans Affairs certification of enrollment.

All veterans are expected to reach the objective (bachelor's or master's degree, doctorate, or certificate) authorized by Veterans Affairs with the minimum number of points required. The Department of Veterans Affairs may not authorize allowance payments for points that are in excess of scholastic requirements, that are taken for audit purposes only, or for which nonpunitive grades are received.

Applications and further information may be obtained from the student's regional office of the Department of Veterans Affairs. Additional inquiries can be directed to the certifying official in the Office of the Registrar. Since interpreta­tion of regulations governing veterans' benefits is subject to change, veterans should keep in touch with the Department of Veterans Affairs.

Yellow Ribbon GI Education Enhancement Program

NYU is pleased to participate in the Yellow Ribbon GI Education Enhancement Program (Yellow Ribbon Program), a provision of the Post-9/11 Veterans Educational Assistance Act of 2008. The program is designed to help students finance, through scholarship assistance, up to 100 percent of their out-of-pocket tuition and fees associated with education programs that may exceed the Post-9/11 GI Bill tuition benefit, which will only pay up to the highest public in-state undergraduate tuition. Beginning in the 2009-2010 academic year, NYU has provided funds toward the tuition of each qualifying veteran who was admitted as a full-time undergraduate, with the VA matching NYU's tuition contribution for each student.

To be eligible for the Yellow Ribbon benefits, an individual must be entitled to the maximum post-9/11 benefit. An individual may be eligible for the Yellow Ribbon Enhancement if:

  • He/she served an aggregate period of active duty after September 10, 2001, of at least 36 months.
  • He/she was honorably discharged from active duty for a service-connected disability and had served 30 continuous days after September 10, 2001.
  • He/she is a dependent eligible for transfer of entitlement under the Post-9/11 GI Bill based on a veteran's service under the eligibility criteria, as described on the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs website.

The Department of Veterans Affairs is currently accepting applications for the Post-9/11 GI Bill. To qualify for the Yellow Ribbon Enhancement, you must apply directly to the VA. The VA will then deter­mine your eligibility for the Post-9/11 GI Bill and issue you a Certificate of Eligibility. Note: You can apply using the VA Form 22-1990. The form includes the instruc­tions needed to begin the process.

After you are issued your Certificate of Eligibility from the Department of Veterans Affairs indicating that you qualify for the Yellow Ribbon Program, please contact Ms. Clara Fonteboa at or 212-998-4823.

The Office of the University Registrar must certify to the Department of Veterans Affairs that the eligible person is enrolled as a full-time undergraduate student for the funds to be paid under the Yellow Ribbon Program. Visit