GSAS Bachelor's-Master's Online Application Instructions
REMEMBER: STUDENTS MUST COMPLETE ALL PRELIMINARY ELIGIBILITY STEPS BEFORE STARTING AN ONLINE APPLICATION. STUDENTS WHO HAVE NOT COMPLETED THESE STEPS WILL NOT HAVE THEIR APPLICATION FLAGGED AS A BACHELOR'S-MASTER'S APPLICATION.
Part 1: Accessing the Bachelor's-Master's Application
(If you have already created your application during a meeting with a Bachelor's-Master's advisor, you may skip to Part 2)
- Create an account in the GSAS application system using your NYU email address.
- Click on Start New Application. Create a new application but DO NOT fill out any of the information. Email email@example.com to let us know that you have created an application. DO NOT proceed until you have received a response from us letting you know that we have flagged your application as part of the Bachelor's-Master's program.
- Within 2 days of your application being flagged for the BA-MA program, you should receive an email notifying you that your application fee has been waived. DO NOT submit your application until you have received this email. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you do not receive this email.
Part 2: Completing the Bachelor's-Master's Application
After you have received a response from email@example.com confirming that your application has been flagged for the BA-MA program, you may proceed with the application:
- Personal Information 1 & 2: Fill out all of the required information on both pages. It is not necessary to list any personal web pages.
- Program and Term:
- Select the program to which you are applying.
- In the “Begin Graduate Coursework” dropdown menu, please select the upcoming academic term - e.g. students submitting their Bachelor's-Master's application in Fall 2016 should select "Spring 2017." It does not matter if you have started graduate coursework in a previous term.
- In "Matriculation Term," please select the term you plan on fully matriculating into your GSAS Master's program. This should be the term after you complete your undergraduate degree.
- Complete the “Credits and Requirements” section.
- Academic Information and Research Experience: Complete all questions.
- Educational History: Complete all three sections. Bachelor's-Master's applicants should upload an unofficial NYU transcript, accessible via Albert (instructions can be found here). Transfer students should submit official transcripts from all previous institutions.
- Test Registration Information: Bachelor's-Master's applicants do not need to complete this section. You may move on to the next section.
- Applicant Statements: Bachelor's-Master's applicants need to upload/complete only the Statement of Academic Purpose. Bachelor's-Master's applicants are not expected to submit a "Personal History Statement."
- Writing Sample: This page will only appear in your application if you have selected a Master's program that typically requires a writing sample. However, only certain Bachelor's-Master's tracks require the submission of a writing sample - please check the Participating Departments page to see if the program to which you are applying requires a writing sample for Bachelor's-Master's applicants. If your program does not require a writing sample from Bachelor's-Master's applicants, please type into the textbox, “I am a Bachelor's-Master's applicant and am not required to submit a writing sample.”
- Program Specific Pages: Some programs will have a page specific to their program (e.g. a page titled “Chemistry”), that will appear as part of the application after you select these programs. With the exception of Economics BA/MA applicants, Bachelor's-Master's applicants do not need to complete this page - instead, please check the box at the bottom of the page that states “I have read and completed this page.”
- Economics BA/MA Applicants: Please complete this page with a summary of your relevant Economics coursework.
- Resume/CV: Bachelor's-Master's applicants are not required to submit a resume/CV.
- Letters of Recommendation: Register two recommenders. You should only do this after having communicated with your recommenders and confirmed that they are willing to write for you.
- Additional Information: Bachelor's-Master's students do not need to complete this section.
Complete your signature and the last two sections. DO NOT submit your application until you have received an email confirming that your application fee has been waived. The application fee will be waived within 2 days of your application having been flagged for the BA-MA track. After receiving this email, please submit your application.
If you encounter any issues with the GSAS application, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.