Applying to the Steinhardt Bachelor's-Master's Program
The application to the Steinhardt Bachelor's-Master's program consists of two parts:
- An initial pre-application to the BA-MA track that is typically made in the student's junior year.
- A formal application to Steinhardt, submitted senior year.
Students submit a pre-application to indicate their interest in the Steinhardt Bachelor's-Master's program, and their intention to matriculate into Steinhardt after they complete their CAS degree.
There are two components to the pre-application:
- A pre-application form. The link for this pre-application form will be sent to you after you view the Steinhardt Bachelor's-Master's Overview and complete a short quiz at the end of the overview.
- In addition to submitting the pre-application form, applicants must email a 1 to 1.5 page statement of purpose (single-spaced) that describes:
- your reasons for wanting to pursue graduate study in Teacher Education
- relevant academic, extracurricular, and/or professional experiences that have prepared you for this type of graduate study
- how a Master's from Steinhardt would support your overall academic/professional goals
- if applicable, a brief reflection on any prior work with children/adolescents (e.g., America Reads/Counts, tutoring, camp counseling, etc.)
Please send your personal statement as a PDF attachment to email@example.com. Please title your email and the attached PDF file as follows: [Lastname,Firstname]_Statement (for example, Doe,John_Statement). It is not necessary to write a message in the body of the email.
Formal Steinhardt Application
A formal application to Steinhardt is required prior to completion of the undergraduate program. Please refer to Steinhardt's Accelerated BA-MA Teacher Education Program application page for application instructions and deadlines. When selecting your program in the Steinhardt application system, be sure to select the option beginning with "NYU CAS Students Only" (e.g., NYU CAS Students Only - Teaching English 7-12 - Dual Degree - ENGD-MA).
The Steinhardt application consists of an online form, a statement of purpose, a resume/CV, two letters of recommendation, and one official copy of transcripts from all institutions that you have attended or are attending. Applicants will also be required to submit test scores from either the GRE or the Miller Analogies Test.
Please note that admission to a BA-MA Teacher Education track does not guarantee admission to its corresponding Steinhardt MA program, though it does strengthen your application.
Return to Top