Please note: these requirements apply to students who entered New York University prior to Fall 2016, regardless of when they declared the Business Studies minor.
The standard Business Studies minor typically requires 24-26 credits of coursework in the following areas:
Statistics and Regression
Stern School of Business Core Elective
Click on the jump links to learn more about the specific courses required for each area.
PLEASE NOTE: All normal prerequisites apply for Business Studies courses. Please consult each course's home department website for more information about prerequisites.
General course requirements/conditions
- A minimum grade of C is required for all courses intended to count toward the minor, and the minimum overall GPA required in the minor is 2.0.
- At least 8 credits of minor coursework must be completed in CAS (-UA) coursework
- AP or other advanced standing coursework (where equivalent to aapproved minor courses) can be used to satisfy 2 out of 3 minor requirements. If a student has advanced standing credit equivalent to 3 or more minor requirements (for example, they have AP credit for ECON-UA 1, ECON-UA 2, and Calculus), the student should contact email@example.com for further advisement.
- Transfer courses: Students use transfer courses to satisfy up to half of their required Econ/Math/Statistics courses (i.e. approximately 2 courses/8 credits) and half of their Financial Accounting/Business Electives (i.e. 1 course/4 credits). All transfer credit:
- Must already have been approved by a student's home school to count towards the completion of their undergraduate degree
- Must be evaluated by the Preprofessional Advising Center in order to determine its equivalence to required minor courses. Please submit course syllabuses and transcripts for evaluation via this Business Studies Transfer Credit Form.
- CAS students should note that all courses taken in Stern for this minor will count toward the 16-point limit on course work in the other divisions of NYU. Students seeking additional non-CAS, non-liberal arts credits beyond the 16-point limit must file a petition with the Committee on Undergraduate Academic Standards in the Office of the Associate Dean for Students, Silver Center, Room 909B; 212-998-8140. In addition, no Stern courses can count toward the 64 credits that internal or external transfer students to CAS are required to complete in CAS (-UA) courses.
Students can double-count up to 2 courses between Business Studies and another major or minor.
- A Psychology major/Business Studies minor can double-count Statistics for the Behavioral Sciences (PSYCH-UA 10) between their major and minor
- A Psychology major/Computer Science & Math minor/Business Studies minor can double-count Statistics for the Behavioral Sciences (PSYCH-UA 10) and Calculus 1 (MATH-UA 121) towards their major/minor requirements
- An Economics major/Business Studies minor may potentially need to double-count 3 courses (ECON-UA 1, ECON-UA 2, and ECON-UA 18/20) between their major and Business Studies minor. This is 1 course beyond the 2 permitted double-counted courses
In cases where a student's major/minor combination means they will double-count more than 2 courses between the Business Studies minor and any other major/minor, the student is required to take 1 additional Stern elective for each double-counted course beyond the permitted 2 courses. Click here to find the list of approved additional Stern electives.
So, in the example above, an Econ major will need to take 1 additional Stern elective, since they are double-counting 3 courses between their major and Business Studies minor.
Please review our Overlapping Course Requirements page for a more detailed breakdown of the different major/minor combinations that will require a student to take additional Stern electives.