The 2017-2018 College of Arts and Science Guide is now available! This guide will be the hub for all CAS Transfer Orientation activities, various CAS resources, a helpful campus map, and more! Please view the 2017-2018 College of Arts and Science Guide before adding optional all-NYU Spring Welcome 2018 events to your schedule. (Stay tuned for more information from the Center for Student Life!)
To download the NYU Guide follow the instructions below:
Download the NYU app by visiting the app store on your phone and searching “NYU Guide.”
Once you have downloaded the app, you will need to download the CAS guide within it. Click "Enter passphrase" and download the guide by entering the case-sensitive passphrase: welcome2cas2018
You can also view the guide online:
CAS Guide: https://guidebook.com/space/nyuguide/guide/nyucas17/ and use the passphrase: welcome2cas2018
To learn more about the system, check out the Center for Student Life’s video here!
Once you are logged in:
Navigate to the “Transfer Students” icon. Here you will find the Transfer Student Activities icon for CAS Transfer Orientation—you can browse events by day to ultimately create your personal schedule.
Within the Transfer Student Activities icon add mandatory CAS Orientation events, and the Placement Exam icon to add any necessary exam to your schedule.
As you browse programs you’ll note plus signs (+) used to add events to your schedule (adding to your schedule suffices as signing up for a session unless otherwise noted in the event description). You can view all events you have added in the “My Schedule” icon.
Attendance on both January 18th and 19th is required. Please be sure add the following mandatory events to your schedule:
- Transfer Student Check-In
- Transfer Dean's Welcome
- Transfer 101
- Transfer Lunch
- Transfer Campus Tour
- CAS Workshops (see next section for further information)
- Expository Writing Proficiency Exam (International Students select this exam date/time)
- International Student Meeting (All international transfer students MUST add this event to their schedule)
- Expository Writing Proficiency Exam (Non-International Students select this exam date/time)
- Transfer Student Mixer
Mandatory Writing Proficiency Exam - add the correct exam to your schedule
- Expository Writing Proficiency (EWP) Exam
- All transfer students are required to take this exam during orientation. The results of this exam may determine if you are required to take an additional Expository Writing (EXPOS-UA) course.
- Students receive one hour to compose a brief written response (3 paragraphs) to a prompt provided at the start of the exam period.
- Responses should exhibit a student’s grasp of English usage and be coherent. They should also demonstrate an ability to use grammatical conventions and sentence structures in ways that would be appropriate in an academic or professional environment.
In addition to these activities you can add in any items from the following that may apply to you:
- Found in “Transfer Student Activities” icon
- Find options for the required “CAS Workshops,” choose two breakout sessions from University partners such as the Preprofessional Advising Center, Wasserman Center for Career Development, and more!
- Transfer Advising Appointments
- Major Department Visits (reach out to your major department to make an appointment!)
- Found in “Placement Exams” icon
- Add any relevant placement or exemption exams to your schedule. You must sign up for the exam in advance.
- Includes: Foreign Language, Calculus, Math for Economics, and Computer Science
NOTE: All locations are subject to change so be sure to check the date/time of each event in your “My Schedule” icon.
For any questions about CAS Transfer Orientation or any technical Guidebook questions, contact the Office of New Students at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 212-998-8130.
We look forward to your arrival and hope you are as excited as we are about The College of Arts and Science Transfer Orientation and All University Spring Welcome!