Get excited for Orientation! CAS Orientation is the CAS-specific portion of Welcome Week. This is your first time on the Washington Square campus as a CAS Student. During CAS Orientation, we’ll get you ready to start your classes! You’ll meet your cohort (including your College Leader and Academic Advisor), learn the basics about CAS, and travel throughout the city!
Required CAS Orientation Events for First-Year Students:
- Cohort Welcome & Check-in: This is the first time you will meet your cohort and your College Leader. Your College Leader will explain the College Cohort Program, run through the week’s schedule, and give college readiness tips. This is a great time to bond with your cohort, as you will be meeting with them bi-weekly throughout the entire academic year.
- Presidential Welcome & Reality Show: Held at the Barclays Center, the Presidential Welcome and Reality show is a beloved university-wide event that teaches students about New York City, college life, and general life-skills in a fun, musical manner.
- Dean's Welcome: At the formal first-year welcome to CAS, you will hear from the Gene Andrew Jarrett, Seryl Kushner Dean of the College of Arts and Science, an accomplished student speaker, the Executive Director and Chaplain for the Islamic Center at NYU, and the Assistant Dean for New Students.
- Service Activity: Join CAS in our seventh annual collaboration with NYC Parks. Travel to Brooklyn and contribute to the urban landscape of New York City through the Million Tree Project!
- CAS 101: In CAS 101 you will learn all there is to know about CAS. Topics covered will include CAS Core Requirements, graduation requirements, exploring majors, and much more!
- First-Year Dialogue Discussions: With your CL and a member of our esteemed faculty, you will have an in-depth discussion of this year’s First-Year Dialogue Book: Behold the Dreamers. Be prepared to contribute to a well-rounded discussion about contemporary American society and major takeaways from the book.
- CL Closing Activity: Immediately after the First-Year Dialogue, your CL will lead a final closing activity with the cohort to wrap up all the Orientation Events.
- International Student Meeting: The meeting is required for all international students. There are two different times that you will be able to choose from.
Optional CAS Orientation Events for First-Year Students:
- Prehealth Info Session
- Prelaw Info Session
- Accelerated Degree Programs Info Session
- CAS Shutdown Silver
- Placement Exams
- Proud to Be First Kick-off
- Dual-Degree Engineering Program Meeting
- Academic Achievement Program (AAP) Meeting
- International Student Mixer
The full schedule will be available in early August so that you can begin planning your Welcome Week and Orientation!