Accelerated Bachelor's-Master's Programs (CAS/GLS-GSAS)

The College of Arts and Science (CAS) and Global Liberal Studies (GLS) program, in collaboration with the Graduate School of Arts and Science (GSAS), offer students in many majors the opportunity to earn both the Bachelor's and Master's degrees in a shorter period of time and at less cost than is normally the case. Students may even be eligible to complete a Master's degree in a department different than that of their undergraduate major. Qualifying students are typically accepted in the spring of their sophomore year or during their junior year. Students may not apply to this program in their final two undergraduate semesters.

Students in the program must satisfy all requirements of both the Bachelor's and Master's degrees; there is no double-counting of courses. In order to complete the Master's program at an accelerated pace, students are expected to complete at least a quarter of the graduate credits required for the Master's degree before earning the Bachelor's. Students can further lighten their graduate courseload by earning additional Master's credits while they are undergraduates, though they may not earn both the Bachelor's and Master's degrees within the same year.

Students admitted into the Bachelor's-Master's program are eligible for a scholarship covering 50% of tuition and registration fees for credits required during the GSAS portion of the program. The scholarship is provided only after completion of the Bachelor's degree, upon matriculation into GSAS. It is calculated on the basis of the remaining credits needed for the Master's degree and additional payments the student may have made in order to accelerate study while matriculated for the Bachelor's (i.e., tuition for more than 18 points due to graduate course enrollment during an undergraduate semester, or for summer graduate coursework during the undergraduate period). The tuition scholarship will remain available for twelve months from the start of the student's first term in GSAS.

Beyond the 50% tuition scholarship, students may be eligible for additional forms of financial aid once they matriculate into GSAS. See here for more information about financing graduate education, including the GSAS Tuition Incentive Program. U.S. citizens or permanent residents seeking additional aid should submit a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) for the upcoming year in GSAS.

Students in CAS and GLS who have a cumulative GPA of 3.5 or higher may apply to the program once they have completed a minimum of three semesters at NYU (for transfer students, at least one semester in CAS or GLS). Students must apply prior to their final two undergraduate semesters. To be eligible, students must have a minimum of two terms remaining in CAS or GLS during which they are still working towards completion of undergraduate requirements (e.g., core, major, minor, and/or minimum BA credit requirements).

In addition to our basic admission standards, individual academic departments may set additional prerequisites to application. These may include declaration of the department’s undergraduate major or minor, completion of specified coursework, a certain GPA in your major, a relevant internship experience, or a meeting with the program director prior to application. Students interested in applying should carefully review the "Participating Programs" section below to check for program-specific eligibility requirements.

Priority Application Deadlines: October 15 in Fall 2015 and March 7 in Spring 2016. Applications are accepted after these dates only if approved by CAS and the sponsoring Master's department. Students who apply by the deadlines are included in a first batch of application review and should receive their admission decisions prior to enrollment for the upcoming term.

Steps to Application: In the semester they wish to apply, students must do the following in order to submit an application:

1. View an online presentation about the Bachelor's-Master's program. This presentation will be available on our website in early September, 2015.
2. Submit an online academic planning form. A link to this form is provided during the online presentation.
3. Consult with a Bachelor’s-Master’s advisor during walk-in hours (or via email,, if abroad) to discuss their academic plan and to ensure their eligibility to apply.

A Bachelor's-Master's advisor can waive the application fee for eligible applicants who complete the three steps above. This would allow them to complete the online program application.

Application Components:

1. An online application form (link available here in early September, 2015). All components of the Bachelor’s-Master’s application must be submitted through the online system, including applicant and program selection details, statement of purpose, official undergraduate transcript(s), letters of recommendation, and writing sample (if applicable).

2. A 1-2 page statement of purpose (single-spaced) that describes:
    >your reasons for wanting to pursue graduate study
    >why the GSAS Master's program you selected is a good fit for you
    >any relevant coursework and experience that has prepared you for graduate study
    >the specific issues/ideas you want to study or research in the graduate program
    >how a Master's at NYU fits into your longer-term academic/career goals

3. Two (2) letters of recommendation. Ideally, both letters of recommendation would come from full-time faculty in the department to which you are applying. That said, students often have difficulty identifying two professors who know them well enough to write a letter on their behalf. In these cases, students can ask a TA to draft a letter that a professor could co-sign, or they could request a letter from a professor outside of the graduate department, or from a professor who taught them at an NYU study away site. Letters from internship supervisors, academic advisors, or other individuals who have not had you in class are strongly discouraged.

Once you register your recommenders through the online application form, they will each receive an email with instructions on how to upload a letter of recommendation. Students may click on the "Recommendations" button in the online application system to check the status of their recommendations (e.g., whether their recommenders have confirmed their registration, whether they have submitted their letters).

4. Undergraduate transcript(s). Please upload your unofficial NYU transcript, which you can access via the dropdown menu in your Albert Student Center.

If you transferred to NYU, also upload official transcripts from any previous undergraduate institution where you have earned credit.  You can upload a PDF scan of an official non-NYU transcript, or an official electronic copy ordered directly from your previous school's Registrar.  If you do the latter, you may be sent a PDF portfolio (a bundle of several documents). Note that you cannot upload the entire portfolio into our online application system. Your transcript would not appear correctly. Instead, please save each of the documents as individual PDFs and then upload them.

5. If applicable, a writing sample required by the Master's program. Some programs (see the "Participating Programs" section below) require such a sample, which should be submitted along with the personal statement.

Interested students should review this website and consult the relevant academic department's website for more information on a specific Master's program of interest. Students who wish to discuss eligibility or the application process should contact a Bachelor's-Master's advisor (during walk-in hours, or by email to for students who are abroad).

Please use the links below to learn more about your Master's program(s) of interest, but consult the "Admissions" section above for instructions on how to apply to the Bachleor's-Master's track into any of these programs. Students should contact us ( if a Master's program of interest is not listed below.

Africana Studies

Ancient Near Eastern and Egyptian Studies




Comparative Literature

Computer Science

Application to the Computer Science program requires a minimum 3.7 GPA in the Computer Science major, in addition to a minimum 3.5 cumulative GPA.

Application prerequisite: completion of Intermediate Microeconomics and Intermediate Macroeconomics with letter grades. Students are strongly encouraged to also complete as many of the following courses as possible prior to application: two undergraduate calculus courses (or one calculus & one linear algebra course), one statistics course, one econometrics course, and elective coursework in Economics.

Application to the Bachelor's-Master's program in English requires a relevant 10-page writing sample, commitment to the English major's honors track, a minimum 3.5 cumulative GPA, and a minimum 3.8 English major GPA. Potential applicants who meet these criteria must schedule an appointment with Professor Juliet Fleming, Director of the English MA Program, prior to submitting their application.

European and Mediterranean Studies


French Studies


Hebrew and Judaic Studies

History (World History, History of Women & Gender, or Archives & Public History)
Application to the World History program requires a relevant writing sample.

Humanities and Social Thought (Draper Interdisciplinary Master's Program)

Industrial/Organizational (I/O) Psychology

Applicants must have already completed, with letter grades, PSYCH-UA 1 Introduction to Psychology and PSYCH-UA 10 Statistics for the Behavioral Sciences (or equivalent). Applicants must arrange to meet with Professor Scott Eggebeen, Coordinator of the I/O Psychology Program, prior to submitting their application. Application to the I/O Psychology program requires a supplemental case study; see departmental website for details.

International Relations

Irish and Irish American Studies

Italian Studies

Latin American and Caribbean Studies
Writing sample required. It need not relate to Latin American Studies, but it should give a sense of your skills in analysis and argumentation.

Literature in Translation (French-English)
Translation sample required: approximately 3,000 words (double-spaced) translated from the French (fiction, drama, essay, poetry, or social sciences) with a copy of the original including all the necessary references.


Museum Studies
Applications for the Bachelor's-Master's track in Museum Studies are only accepted in the spring semester of a student's junior year. Applicants must have completed or be engaged in a museum-based internship, and must arrange to meet with Professor Bruce Altshuler, Director of the Museum Studies Program, prior to submitting their application.


Applicants must have a declared Politics major or minor.

Psychology (General track, Forensic specialization, or Social & Consumer specialization)
Application prerequisites: completion of PSYCH-UA 1 Introduction to Psychology and PSYCH-UA 10 Statistics for the Behavioral Sciences (or equivalent) with letter grades. Students who are not planning to specialize in Forensic or Social & Consumer psychology should arrange to meet with Professor Adrienne Gans, Director of Psychology Master's Programs, to discuss their intended area of specialization.

Religious Studies

Russian and Slavic Studies

Social and Cultural Analysis




I’m an NYU undergraduate, but my home school is not CAS or GLS. Am I eligible for the program?
Only students in CAS and GLS are eligible to apply to this program. Students in other schools should contact their home-school advisors to inquire about alternative Bachelor's-Master's opportunities that may be available to them.

My home school is not CAS or GLS, but I am doing a second major in CAS. Can I apply?
Only students matriculated in and earning a degree from CAS or GLS may apply to this program.

I’m a student in the Liberal Studies Core Program but will transition to CAS next year. Can I apply to the Bachelor's-Master's program prior to my transition?
Students in the Core Program should wait until they have transitioned to the College before applying. Prior to transitioning they may consult with a CAS Bachelor's-Master's advisor (during walk-in hours, or by email

I’m a senior but just heard about this program. Is it still possible to apply?

Students may not apply for the Bachelor's-Master's program during their final two semesters in CAS or GLS. To be eligible, students must have a minimum of two semesters remaining in CAS or GLS, during which they will still be working towards completion of undergraduate requirements (e.g., core, major, minor, and/or minimum credit requirements). That said, CAS seniors can still apply to the Graduate School and take advantage of the CAS/GSAS tuition discount program.  

I’m interested in applying to the program but my GPA is below 3.5. Can the 3.5 GPA requirement be waived?
Students whose GPA is in the 3.475-3.5 range should speak to a Bachelor's-Master's advisor (during walk-in hours, or by email about application eligibility. Even if a student is conditionally admitted with a cumulative GPA just below 3.5, the student may not transition into GSAS under the terms the Bachelor's-Master's program with a GPA below 3.5.


What do I need to submit with my application?
In addition to the online application form, you will need to submit a statement of purpose, two letters of recommendation, and an official undergraduate transcript(s). Some departments also require a writing sample and/or completion of prerequisite courses. Please check the departmental admission requirements in the program list above.

When are applications due?
Priority deadlines are set twice yearly in advance of registration for the upcoming term. The deadlines are generally early October for fall admission and early March for spring admission. Applications for many programs continue to be accepted on a rolling basis following the priority deadlines.

I missed the priority application deadline. Can I still apply?
Students who miss the application deadline should contact a Bachelor's-Master's advisor (during walk-in hours, or email to see if it is still possible to apply for their program of interest.

Where should I submit my application?
Applications should be submitted online. See the "Admissions" section above for specific instructions.

The application form asks for the term I plan to enter GSAS. What does this mean?
Please list the term (fall/spring/summer) and year that you plan to enter GSAS as a full-time MA student. This is NOT the term that you plan to start taking graduate courses as an undergraduate. Note that students admitted to the Bachelor's-Master's program are expected to matriculate into the Graduate School in the fall/spring semester immediately following graduation. Summer matriculation into GSAS is also an option for some programs.

Who should I ask to write a letter of recommendation on my behalf?

Ideally, both letters of recommendation would come from full-time faculty in the department to which you are applying. That said students may have difficulty identifying two professors who know them well enough to write a letter on their behalf. In these cases, students can get a second letter from a TA in the department, an instructor outside of the graduate department, or an instructor at an NYU abroad site. Students might also ask a TA to draft a letter and ask the associated professor to co-sign it. Letters from internship supervisors, academic advisors, or other individuals who have not had you in class are strongly discouraged.

What should I include in my statement of purpose?
A statement of purpose for graduate school is different than the statement you wrote for your undergraduate application. Rather than presenting a quirky or inspiring narrative from your past, it should focus on reasons for pursuing a Master's and your preparation for graduate study. An effective statement of purpose should convey your reasons for wanting to pursue graduate study, why the GSAS Master's program you selected is a good fit for you, any relevant coursework and experience that has prepared you for graduate study, the specific issues/ideas you want to study in the graduate program, and how a Master's at NYU fits into your overall academic and career goals.

How long should my statement of purpose be?
Your statement of purpose should be one to two pages, single-spaced in a standard font with standard margins.

I’m currently studying abroad. Can I apply to the program remotely?
Yes. Application materials are submitted online. Refer to the "Admissions" section above for instructions.

How long before I know whether or not I’ve been admitted?
All applications received in a given semester are forwarded on to the Graduate Directors in the individual departments, roughly a week after the application deadline. From there, response times vary by department, but generally students should know of their application status within a month of the application deadline. Students who have not received an admissions decision by this time should contact a Bachelor's-Master's advisor ( Students who apply to the program early in the semester before the priority deadline will not be notified until after the deadline.



I’ve been admitted to the program, but I still can’t register for graduate classes. What do I do?
Bachelor's-Master's students won’t be able to register for most graduate courses on Albert until they are formally admitted to GSAS, following graduation from CAS/GLS. Until then, they will need to work with their graduate department (typically the Director of Graduate Studies and/or the Graduate Program Administrator) to register for appropriate graduate courses.

How do I know what courses to register for?

Newly admitted students should contact the Director of Graduate Studies (or Director of their Master's Program) for advice on graduate course selection and sequencing. They should continue to work with their undergraduate major and CAS advisors on matters regarding their Bachelor's program.

I’m in a Master's course that my undergraduate advisor told me could count towards my major. Can I use this course towards both degree requirements?
No. Under no circumstances can a graduate course satisfy requirements for both degrees. There is no double counting. Students must decide to which degree they wish to apply a GSAS course.

My graduate courses are still being listed under my undergraduate degree requirements. How can I fix this?
In your last semester (earlier if you wish) you will be asked to specify which graduate courses should be set aside from your undergraduate record for transfer to the Master's degree. Until that time, the graduate courses will continue to count towards your undergraduate degree requirements. When assessing your degree progress, it is important to keep this in mind so that you can be sure to complete all of your Bachelor's requirements and at least a quarter of the graduate credits required for the Master's degree.

My cumulative GPA dipped below a 3.5. Can I stay in the program?

If, prior to graduation, your GPA dips below a 3.5 you must pull it back up to this level in order to matriculate into GSAS under the terms of the Bachelor's-Master's program.

Do the grades earned in graduate coursework taken as a CAS student count towards the 3.5 GPA requirement?
No. Graduate courses will not count towards the undergraduate GPA once they are withheld from your undergraduate record. Students wishing to transition to GSAS should make sure that their undergraduate cumulative GPA is above a 3.5 once graduate courses are set aside. Grades from transferred GSAS coursework will appear on the Master's transcript and impact the Master's GPA.

I'm on track to finish the requirements for both the Bachelor's and the Master's in the same year. Can I graduate from both schools in the same year?
No. The Registrar will not confer two degrees within a single year. Students are encouraged to finish their undergraduate degree in a way that would allow them to spend a full academic year in GSAS. If a student completes a significant amount of Master's coursework while an undergraduate and does not need a full year to complete his or her remaining requirements, the student can "maintain matriculation" in GSAS without taking courses, as needed, until the Master's degree is conferred a year after Bachelor's degree conferral.



When do I need to notify CAS that I intend to continue with the Master's portion of the Bachelor's-Master's program?
A Bachelor's-Master's advisor will reach out to students in the program in September and January to inquire about their plans. If they still intend to enter GSAS and complete the Master's, they will complete a Request for Matriculation form in their final undergraduate semester that specifies which graduate courses they would like to withhold from the Bachelor's degree for transfer to the Master's degree.

I intend to graduate this semester but have not completed the necessary graduate coursework (i.e. a quarter of the Masters degree credits). Can I still matriculate into the Graduate School next semester?
Students must complete at least a quarter of the graduate credits required for the Master's degree in order to enter GSAS under the terms of the Bachelor's-Master's program. If possible, students can take graduate courses over the summer to fulfill this requirement, but would need to take these courses as an undergraduate student, thereby delaying their graduation from CAS.

Now that my graduate courses aren’t counting towards my undergraduate degree, I’m short of the necessary requirements for the Bachelor's. What do I do?
Students in the Bachelor's-Master's program must complete all of the requirements for the Bachelor's degree, so you will need to work with your major and school advisors to come up with a plan to complete your undergraduate degree requirements.

I’m a senior who is graduating this semester. How do I register for graduate classes next semester?
In order to register for graduate classes as a Master's student you must first be formally admitted to GSAS. Once you receive and accept an offer of admission from GSAS, the matriculation process will begin. You will be able to register for the upcoming term once you have a "GSAS student" option in your Albert Student Center. It is important that you not register for graduate courses as an undergraduate student in your last semester--doing so will affect your graduation from CAS/GLS. Please note that you may not be matriculated into GSAS prior to registration week for the upcoming term. This generally will not impact your ability to register for your desired graduate courses.



When will the 50% tuition and registration fee scholarship appear on my Financial Aid statement / Bursar's account?
Bachelor's-Master's awards are posted after a student has registered for courses. The Graduate School awards are typically on student accounts by the end of July (for fall) and end of January (for spring). If a student is registered and does not see their award on their Bursar account by the end of July/January, the student should send an email, with their name, N#, Bachelor's-Master's status, and GSAS matriculation term, to:

Ms. Neyda Lopez
Senior Assistant Director, GSAS Graduate Enrollment Services
One-Half Fifth Avenue, New York, NY 10003
Phone: (212) 998-8053

During my undergraduate period, I took some Master's courses over the summer or in excess of 18 credits in fall/spring. How do I receive 50% reimbursement for those credits?
Please contact Ms. Neyda Lopez in Graduate Enrollment Services (contact info above) to arrange for the disbursement of this funding during your GSAS year. This reimbursement funding is in addition to the 50% off new Master's course tuition and registration fees that you will receive for up to 12 months from the point of your GSAS matriculation.

What is the procedure for transferring graduate credits earned while an undergraduate onto the GSAS transcript?
During your first term in GSAS, you should complete a Transfer Credit Request Form and give it to your graduate program's departmental administrator for processing. On that form, please note that you are a Bachelor's-Master's student. The transfer of credit does not happen automatically; the above form must be submitted in order for previously earned graduate credits to apply towards your Master's degree.