Our rich Postbacc community is comprised of students of all ages and backgrounds. Students in the program receive guidance and support from our Preprofessional Advising Staff and distinguished faculty, who are known for their accessibility and student-centered teaching.
Applicants to our program are career changers, whom have at least a 3.0 undergraduate GPA and have earned a bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution. When reviewing applications, we consider all aspects, including the applicant’s academic record, professional goals, past experiences, and letter of recommendation. Successful applicants have clearly communicated their intentions and demonstrated efforts toward pursuing a career in the health professions.
Ninety percent (90%) of postbacc students that complete our program with a 3.6 GPA and receive a score of 32 on their MCAT exam are accepted into medical school (this information is not yet available for the 2015 MCAT). As a whole, our students are very successful in their postbacc studies, and are admitted to such prestigious medical schools as Yale, Columbia, Cornell, Pittsburgh, SUNY, Mount Sinai, and Albert Einstein.
Please see our Deadlines for applying to our program.
The following materials are required as part of your application to the program:
- The online application, which includes:
- Personal information
- Personal statement
- Short essays
- UNOFFICIAL Standardized test scores: SAT, ACT, TOEFL, Accelerated Credits (such as: AP, IB, A-Level, etc.). If you have not taken the SAT/ACT/TOEFL you may submit GRE scores instead. If you do not have those, please email email@example.com.
- Personal photo
- Official transcripts from all undergraduate institutions attended, even if the courses did not count toward a degree. If you have transfer credits, please send the official transcripts directly from that institution. We will not accept transfer credits listed elsewhere. Note: Transcripts from graduate programs are not required but are strongly encouraged.
- Transcripts may be sent electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org or sent in hard copy to:
NYU Postbaccalaureate Prehealth Studies Program
100 Washington Square East, Room 901
New York, NY 10003
Note: The application DOES NOT require High School transcripts. Please do NOT send any supplemental items that were not requested. We will not be able to store or receipt these items.
**It is your responsibility to ensure that all supplemental materials are received before the application deadline.**
Please keep the following things in mind when applying to our program:
- Your personal statement and letters of recommendation are very important to us. We are looking for students who have thought carefully about the decision to pursue a career in the health professions and who have actively explored and demonstrated their interest in health care (e.g. community service, clinical volunteer and/or work experience). We are also looking for applicants who exhibit integrity and professionalism.
- SENIORS AND RECENT GRADUATES: We require a final, official transcript that shows both your final semester's grades as well as an undergraduate degree confirmation/conferral date. Therefore, if you are currently a senior, you may only apply for the term that starts AFTER your final transcript will be available. (For example, if you graduate in May or June you are not eligible for summer admission, but you may apply for the fall term. If you graduate in August you are not eligible for fall admission, but you may apply for the spring term)
- We will review applications of current seniors if you provide both an official transcript and an official "expected graduation" letter from a university official (either the registrar or an academic advisor) stating that you are expected to graduate in [specify month and year] with a degree in [specify degree]. Please have the university official submit this signed letter on institutional letterhead, as an attachment, to email@example.com from their official university email address. Once we receive all parts of the application, including these two items, we will make a decision. If we plan to accept you, it will be a conditional acceptance until we receive your final, official transcript showing your last semester's grades and degree conferral.
- Please note: A Bachelor's Degree is required for this program. If you are conditionally accepted, you can only get cleared for course registration after you have graduated and your final transcript, noting degree conferral, is received.
- Applications are reviewed and admissions decisions are made on a rolling basis. You can expect to hear a decision approximately 6-8 weeks after your application is marked "ready for review" by our office. If you submit your application before the review period for your cycle begins, you should expect a decision approximately 6-8 weeks after our review period for your cycle begins, AND your application is marked "ready for review." Decisions are delivered via email only; we do not give admissions information over the phone.
- The program is competitive and seats in classes are limited. We advise you to apply early in the application period.
- You must begin the program in the semester for which you are accepted. We do not permit admissions deferrals.
- If accepted, you must meet with a preprofessional advisor (over the phone or in person) as soon as appointments are available, before you are able to start the program.
Click here to access the NYU Postbacc Program Application
**Please email our office at firstname.lastname@example.org
regarding specific questions about your prior application. **