NYU's Program is a good fit for you if
- You already have a bachelor's degree AND
- You earned a minimum undergraduate GPA of 3.0 AND
- You did not take any, or have taken less than 50%, of the core prerequisite science courses* as an undergraduate OR
- You need to retake all of the prerequisite science courses because they were taken outside of the United States OR
- You need to retake all of the prerequisite science courses because your sciences are more than 5 years old AND
- You have explored a career in the health professions through volunteer and/or clinical work.
NYU's Program is NOT a good fit for you if
- You have already taken 50% or more of the core prerequisite science courses* (less than 5 years ago in the US) AND/OR
- You need to take less than 24 credits of required courses as a postbacc OR
- You need to improve your grades.
If you have questions about your precise eligibility for our program, please refer to the FAQ page before contacting us for further information. You will find that many of your questions may be answered there.
If our program is not a good fit for you, you should consider one of the Postbaccalaureate Premedical Programs listed by the Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC).
*Core Science Courses
To be eligible for the NYU postbacc program, accepted students will have completed no more than 4 of the core science courses (listed below) at the time of their matriculation into the program (they will need to complete a minimum of 5 core science courses in our program), or they will need to retake ALL of the core science courses because either a.) their science coursework was completed more than 5 years ago, or b.) their coursework was completed at a foreign institution.
- General Chemistry I
- General Chemistry II
- Principles of Biology I
- Principles of Biology II
- Organic Chemistry I
- Organic Chemistry II
- Physics I
- Physics II
- Biochemistry I
Residency Requirement for NYU students and alumni
Current NYU students or alumni who are applying to the postbacc program must plan to complete a minimum of 2 semesters in the postbacc program. These applicants must complete at least 4 core science courses during their 2 semester residency. In order to be eligible for the linkage program, they must have completed at least one semester and 2 core science courses in the postbacc program and meet the linkage nomination requirements by the time of their linkage application.
Applicants to PA/PT/DVM programs
Applicants accepted into the NYU postbacc program who plan to apply for PA/PT/DVM programs will need to complete one or more science courses in addition to the postbacc core science curriculum--depending on their target programs' prerequisites. In order to be eligible for the NYU postbacc program, applicants to these programs must be planning to complete a minimum of 5 core science courses during their time in the NYU postbacc program. More information for applicants interested in these programs can be found here.
Applicants to Pharmacy programs
If you are interested in applying to pharmacy programs, our postbacc program can be a good fit for you; however, you must be able to complete at least 5 of the core sciences here. Additionally, it is your responsibility to review any additional prerequisites needed for these programs--as many require microbiology, anatomy, and/or physiology in addition to the core sciences.
Applicants to Nursing programs
Our program is not a good fit for applicants interested in applying to nursing school. If you are interested in completing the prerequisites for nursing, please visit the NYU College of Nursing website.