Overview: Committee Letter of Evaluation
The Committee Letter is an institutional letter of evaluation that highlights you as a multidimensional applicant. It ties together your academic record and scholarly accomplishments, personal attributes, experiences working and volunteering in the community, and your demonstrated commitment to healthcare. The letter will tell your story of why you selected this professional path and serves to introduce you – holistically – to all members of Admissions Committees.
Nearly all health professional schools recommend that students obtain an institutional letter of evaluation (e.g. Committee Letter) if the service is available at his/her institution. Some centralized application services and professional programs do not accommodate traditional NYU Committee Letters, however. If you plan to apply to Pharmacy, Physician Assistant, Public Health, and Veterinary programs, we ask that you email firstname.lastname@example.org before proceeding with the Committee process.
All students who have completed more than half of their prehealth science courses at NYU within the past ten (10) years are eligible to receive a Committee Letter of Evaluation given that they have adhered to our office’s internal deadlines. The science courses must be completed while the student was enrolled as a degree-seeking undergraduate or as a participant in our Postbaccalaureate Prehealth Studies Program.
NYU students who DO NOT receive a Committee Letter may lead admissions committee to assume that they are circumventing the process or that they did not follow our protocols. Avoid this negative insinuation by adhering to our prescribed deadlines.
Students and alumni seeking a Committee Letter of Evaluation work closely with the staff of the Preprofessional Advising Center throughout the academic year preceding their summer application to health professional schools. The steps that NYU applicants complete to receive a Committee Letter is popularly referred to as the "Committee Process," and this process incorporates four main components:
- Completion of a Prehealth Committee Application
- Participation in a Committee Interview
- Solicitation of individual letters of evaluation
- Discussion of each applicant by members of the Committee
A review of these materials and interactions allows us to write a personalized, thorough, and reliable Committee Letter to accompany your application to health professional schools.
The Prehealth Committee Application is an internal application completed by all NYU students and alumni seeking a Committee Letter. Your submission of an Application in AdviseStream alerts our staff of your intention to utilize the services of the Committee and participate in our interview process. The Application provides Committee members with important information about you and your candidacy. Its structure and content has also been purposefully designed to look and feel like your professional school application.
The Prehealth Committee Application is divided into two parts for practical reasons:
- Part I of the Prehealth Committee Application (completed in the fall) is designed to help our staff accurately anticipate the number and variety of prehealth students who wish to participate in the Committee process. Understanding the volume of students we’ll be serving allows us to efficiently manage students’ needs in the months ahead. Additionally, Part I of the Prehealth Committee Application is comprised of a series of questions that reveal your intentions and readiness to participate in the Committee process. We expect you to reflect and answer honestly when responding to these questions, and our staff may be in touch if we have questions or concerns related to your responses.
- Part II of the Prehealth Committee Application (completed in the winter) asks you to respond to essay prompts and document your preprofessional portfolio in ways that will help our Committee learn about you as a candidate.
The Preprofessional Advising Center is now using AdviseStream, an online prehealth advising platform, to streamline our Committee process. You will use AdviseStream to complete Part I and II of your Prehealth Committee Application, schedule your own Committee Interview, and request individual letters of evaluation. Log into your account at nyu.advisestream.com to get started today!
AdviseStream will be available for all current and former prehealth and postbacc students to use; at this time, the system is limited to current and former prehealth students and postbaccs on the Square. Applicants from the Tandon School of Engineering, NYU Abu Dhabi, and NYU Shanghai campuses will work with their campus representatives to schedule their Committee Interview and monitor letters of evaluation.
AdviseStream accounts are securely connected to your academic record in Albert. To make changes to pre-filled information in both Albert and AdviseStream, please follow the Registrar’s instructions to update your student record.
The Committee Interview provides you the opportunity to discuss your portfolio with a member of the Prehealth Committee on Evaluations. This one-on-one, 30-60 minute interview may feel like a guided conversation where you’re able to share your personal/familial background, educational choices, professional goals, and the experiences that have informed your understanding of the health profession that you seek to enter. The Committee member will also be observing your communication style, interpersonal skills, maturity, and professionalism during this encounter. S/he may ask you pointed questions related to your preprofessional preparation and how you demonstrate the competencies that professional schools value. Examples of professional school competencies can be found online:
The Wasserman Center for Career Development offers in-person and web-based resources that can help you hone your interviewing skills so that you can put your best foot forward. We encourage you to use these services early and often.
It is important to keep in mind that the interview is not an advising session. It is a professional interview that will influence the Committee Letter of Evaluation. Please plan to arrive 10 minutes early to your interview site, dressed professionally, and prepared to engage in a meaningful conversation. Missing or arriving late to your scheduled interview will result in the forfeiture of your interview.
Applicants on the Square will use AdviseStream to schedule their Committee Interview. Please follow the time-sensitive and mandatory steps below to request and schedule your interview. NOTE: Applicants from the Tandon School of Engineering, NYU Abu Dhabi, and NYU Shanghai campuses will work with their campus representatives to schedule their Committee Interview.
Applicants who submit their Prehealth Committee Application by the appropriate deadline (February 1) will be eligible to schedule a Committee Interview. Schedule your interview using AdviseStream’s ‘Manage CL Interview’ feature in the Committee Letter Planner.
- You will receive an email on February 5 with directions on how to schedule your interview
- You have from February 6 - February 17, 2017 to schedule your interview
The details of your scheduled interview will be saved in your Committee Letter Planner and emailed to your @nyu.edu account.
If you have any questions about using AdviseStream, click the grey 'Support' button on the right side of your AdviseStream dashboard. You can also visit the AdviseStream Help Center for any software-related questions.
Individual letters of evaluation are important and essential components of your final Committee Letter of Evaluation. NYU’s Committee authors a composite-style letter; our Committee will reference and quote the content of these evaluations as a way of corroborating and underscoring elements of your candidacy. All evaluations in your prehealth file are submitted, unabridged, with your NYU Committee Letter of Evaluation. For this reason, you should not list individual evaluation writers who submitted letter(s) to the Preprofessional Advising Center (via AdviseStream) in your application to professional schools.
Your Committee Letter of Evaluation can only be finalized once all anticipated letters of evaluation have been received. Waiting for the submission of a missing letter may delay the submission of your Committee Letter. It may be more effective to have the individual writer send it directly to AMCAS (for example) through its letters service, or directly to health professional schools, whenever s/he finishes it.
If you have already participated in a Committee Interview with our office but chose to delay your application to professional programs, please know that you do not need to complete a new Prehealth Committee Application or have a second committee interview. In lieu of submitting a new application, we ask that you provide updates to the Committee via AdviseStream. You will be permitted to provide the following updates:
- Updated resume
- Updated grades in BCPM courses
- Updated unofficial transcript
- A personal statement explaining what you have done since your interview with us and why you are still motivated to enter the health professions. This statement must be added to the "Applicant Updates" section in AdviseStream's Committee Letter Planner.
Applicants who used NYU's electronic Committee Application between 2011 and 2016 will be able to view their previously-submitted Committee Application as a .pdf file within AdviseStream's Committee Letter Planner. If you experience any difficulty accessing your previously-submitted application, please email email@example.com. We ask that you add your updates by May 31. If you do not submit this new material, we will send out your committee letter from the previous application cycle but will be unable to update it.
Follow the steps below to use AdviseStream for the summer 2017 application cycle:
- Log into AdviseStream to activate your account
- Complete your Intent to Apply from the home page under the 'Apply' widget. Click on 'Complete Intent to Apply.' A modal will pop up. Select the degrees for which you intend to apply and click 'Next.' Select your planned matriculation year from the drop-down and click 'Save.' As a reminder and example, summer 2017 applicants to medical school will matriculate in 2018.
- Complete your AdviseStream Profile. You can access your 'Profile' by hovering over your name in the upper right corner of the main dashboard.
- Navigate to the 'Committee Letter' Planner and mark your profile as updated.
- Complete the FERPA Waiver
- Submit the updates outlined above.
- Check off your Prehealth Committee Application as complete
- In the orange Committee Letter Request box, select "I interviewed in a previous year and would like an updated Committee Letter."
- Click the "Request" button in the orange Committee Letter Request box.
- Follow the directions below to have your Committee Letter sent to centralized application services and/or your programs of choice
NOTE: Re-applicants are asked to adhere to the instructions on the re-applicants page.
Centralized application services expect applicants to properly identify the source of their institutional letter of evaluation. Please follow the directions below to ensure the accuracy of this letter entry:
- Select "Committee Letter" as your Letter Type
- Select "Electronic Evaluation" for any centralized application that requests this information
- Primary Author for NYU Undergraduates and Alumni: Ms Danielle Brooks, Assistant Dean for Preprofessional Advising
- Primary Author for Postbacc Students: Ms Sherise Smith, Director of the Postbaccalaureate Prehealth Studies Program
- Email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
New York University
Preprofessional Advising Center
100 Washington Square East, Silver 901
New York, NY 10003-6688
- Phone number: (212) 998-8160
DO NOT include the names of the writers who submitted individual letters of evaluation to the Preprofessional Advising Center in your application. All evaluations in your prehealth file are submitted, unabridged, with your NYU Committee Letter of Evaluation. Noting the names of each evaluation writer separately in your application will give admissions personnel the false impression that these letters will arrive separately.
All students who adhere to the Preprofessional Advising Center’s published deadlines may request to have their Committee Letter and individual evaluations sent to the centralized application services and/or health professional programs to which they apply. We will only send these documents to programs and centralized application services when all of your individual letters of evaluation have been received.
- The Committee on Evaluations will not finalize or submit Committee Letters before your centralized application has been submitted. In most cases, centralized applications cannot be submitted prior to June 1.
- Please allow four (4) to six (6) weeks for the Committee Letter to be uploaded to the relevant online centralized application service (e.g., AMCAS, AACOMAS, or AADSAS) or the programs to which you applied. The four week processing period does not include university closures and holidays. Our timeline will in no way negatively impact your application. It takes four to six weeks for your application to be verified by the online application services.
- Our staff will send your Committee Letter and associated evaluations electronically, whenever possible, to expedite the transmission of these documents.
- You (the applicant) are responsible for meeting the deadlines of professional schools and ensuring that your file is complete at each of them. Schools do not consider your application complete until you have submitted secondary applications.
Submitting Your Committee Letter (Fall 2017 matriculants)
NYU applicants from the Washington Square campus should follow the instructions linked on this page to request the submission of a Committee Letter for any program with a Fall 2017 matriculation date. Students applying in summer 2017 for Fall 2018 matriculation should see the instructions below.
Submitting Your Committee Letter (Fall 2018 matriculants)
NYU applicants on the Square will use AdviseStream to request the submission of their NYU Committee Letter of Evaluation. Applicants from the Tandon School of Engineering, NYU Abu Dhabi, and NYU Shanghai campuses will work with their campus representatives to facilitate the submission of their Committee Letter. Click on the linked headings below to view step-by-step AdviseStream instructions for submitting your Committee Letter to centralized application services and/or programs of interest.
Previously-interviewed applicants and re-applicants, PLEASE NOTE: Before proceeding to the steps below for your application service(s) or programs of interest, you must complete a set of preliminary steps in AdviseStream so that your request can be processed. Instructions for previously-interviewed applicants can be found here, and instructions for re-applicants are here. Please ensure that you follow these initial steps; failure to do so can result in delays in processing your Committee Letter.
Click here to read the AMCAS-specific instructions for requesting submission of your Committee Letter. Preprofessional Advising will submit your Committee Letter and associated evaluations through the AMCAS Letter Writer Application .
Click here to read the AACOMAS-specific instructions for requesting submission of your Committee Letter. Preprofessional Advising will submit your Committee Letter and associated evaluations through the Evaluations (Letters of Reference) feature of the AACOMAS application. When asked to supply a deadline, please indicate October 31, 2017.
Click here to read the AADSAS-specific instructions for requesting submission of your Committee Letter. Preprofessional Advising will submit your Committee Letter and associated evaluations through the Letters of Evaluation feature of the AADSAS application.
Click here to read the TMDSAS-specific instructions for requesting submission of your Committee Letter.
Click here to read the VMCAS-specific instructions for requesting submission of your Committee Letter. Preprofessional Advising will submit your Committee Letter through the eLOR feature of the VMCAS application. Due to space and system limitations, we can only send the Committee Letter; all other evaluations must be sent directly to VMCAS by the writers.
Click here to read the instructions for requesting submission of your Committee Letter to non-US programs. Please note that you should follow these instructions to add an individual entry to each of the schools or programs to which you plan to apply. Preprofessional Advising will send your Committee Letter and associated evaluations electronically, whenever possible, to expedite the transmission of these documents.
Record-Enhancing Programs / Special Masters Programs
Click here to read the instructions for requesting submission of your Committee Letter to special masters programs or here to read the instructions for submission to postbacc programs. Please note that you should follow these instructions to add an individual entry to each of the schools or programs to which you plan to apply. Preprofessional Advising will send your Committee Letter and associated evaluations electronically, whenever possible, to expedite the transmission of these documents.
Other Centralized Application Services
Click here to read the instructions for requesting submission of your Committee Letter to other centralized application services.
Please refer to this presentation, which gives screenshots of the step-by-step instructions available at the links above, if you experience difficulty in navigating AdviseStream to request the submission of your Committee Letter.
Using NYU's Dossier Service/ Requesting a Letter Packet
NYU applicants who are ineligible for a Committee Letter of Evaluation may be authorized to use the Preprofessional Advising Center's dossier service. This service - the packaging of individual evaluations under the cover of the Preprofessional Advising Center - facilitates the submission of a "letter packet"without an adjoining evaluative Committee Letter. Applicants must be given express permission by the Chair of the Committee on Evaluations to utilize the dossier service. To request permission, write to email@example.com. Students who have been pre-approved to use this service may click here to read the instructions for requesting a letter packet in AdviseStream.
*Once your Committee Letter and associated evaluations or letter packet have been submitted to centralized application service(s), our staff will not transmit any additional evaluations sent on your behalf to the Preprofessional Advising Center. It is your responsibility to re-direct all evaluation writers to the appropriate evaluation transmission service (AMCAS, AACOMAS, AADSAS, etc.) associated with your application to facilitate the transmission of their evaluation directly.