Allied Health

Art Therapist

Art therapists treat, on an in- or outpatient basis, people who have physical, emotional, behavioral, or social problems. Carrying out and analyzing art tasks is the means of treatment. Art therapists may act in the capacity of primary therapist or as part of a treatment team.

REQUIREMENTS: Students with a liberal arts degree go into a master's program in Art Therapy. These programs take a minimum of two years to complete. Most programs also require a minimum of 600 hours of supervised practicum; a few require 1,000 hours. Art therapists can apply for registration by the American Art Therapy Association (AATA) and receive the status ATR (Art Therapist, Registered).

NYU REQUIREMENTS: NYU's graduate Art Therapy program requires the following undergraduate pre-requisites:

  • Twelve credits in Psychology
  • Eighteen credits in Studio Art
  • Thirty credits in behavioral or social sciences and/or liberal arts

NYU Steinhardt School of Education, Art Therapy Program
34 Stuyvesant Street, Room 306
New York, NY 10003
Tel: (212) 998-5700

The American Art Therapy Association, Inc.
1202 Allanson Road
Mundelein, IL 60060
Tel: (888) 290-0878


Biomedical Scientist

The basic medical sciences encompass a variety of non-clinical areas of the medical school curriculum, including: biochemistry, cell biology, environmental oncology, microbiology, parasitology, pathology, pharmacology, and physiology. Most of these Ph.D. programs are located physically in a medical school, with each basic medical science represented by a specific department. Most students in such programs receive full-tuition scholarships, frequently with living allowances.

Scientists in this field have many career opportunities. In the past they usually chose academic positions involving both research and teaching, including the training of future Ph.D.s in basic medical science. With the present development of biotechnology industries, however, more and more scientists are entering research positions in industry, since a good deal of the research performed in this new and developing sector is in essence "basic research." In addition to research and/or teaching, some scientists leave "hands on" work for positions with government or private funding agencies, or agencies concerned with such issues as environmental protection, scientific ethics, education policy, and the like. Finally, some become popular periodical science writers or editors for scientific publishing companies.

REQUIREMENTS: All applicants must have a B.S. or B.A. degree in biology, chemistry, biochemistry, or physics, and must also have some research experience beyond formal laboratory courses. All candidates must take the GRE.

Sackler Institute of Graduate Biomedical Sciences
NYU School of Medicine 550 1st Avenue, Room LHY24GN
New York, NY 10016
Tel: (212) 263-5648

Department of Biology
100 Washington Square East, Room 1009
New York, NY 10003-6688
Tel: (212) 998-8200

RECOMMENDED READING: The diversity of educational programs, information sources, and career opportunities in the biomedical sciences is vast. We suggest as a starting point an excellent article, "Careers in Biology," by Roy H. and Barbara W. Sago. This paper, in pamphlet form and augmented by a substantial list of professional societies from which students can request information, is available from the American Institute of Biological Sciences.

American Institute of Biological Sciences
730 11th Street, NW
Washington, DC 20001-4584
Tel: (202) 628-1500



Chiropractors are concerned with the relationship between structure (the spine, extravertebral joints, muscles, etc.) and function (the nervous and vascular systems). Chiropractors evaluate posture and spinal structure, and treat patients whose health problems are associated with the muscular, nervous, and skeletal systems. Although employment of chiropractors is to a degree governed by the economy, there appears to be a general increase in the acceptance by the public for this type of treatment. This is particularly true in the western and southwestern states.

There are seventeen chiropractic schools in the United States. Training programs can include up to five years of study depending on the program. Applications must be sent directly to the school(s) in which you are interested.

REQUIREMENTS: All chiropractic colleges require applicants to have at least two years of undergraduate study. Most applicants have a bachelor's degree, and this is quickly becoming the minimum entry requirement. These schools also require a certain level of physical ability (i.e., strength and dexterity) and test for this before admission. Applicants must have a minimum GPA of 2.5.

Undergraduate pre-chiropractic study requires the following courses:

  • General Chemistry with Labs (2 semesters)
  • Organic Chemistry with Labs (2 semesters)
  • Biology with Labs (2 semesters)
  • Physics with Labs (2 semesters)
  • Psychology (1 course)
  • English (2 courses)
  • Humanities and Social Science Electives (varies by school)

Some schools recommend the following courses: Anatomy, Biochemistry, Physiology, Genetics, Calculus, Microbiology, and Molecular and Cellular Biology.

New York Chiropractic College
2360 State Route 89
Seneca Falls, NY 13148
(800) 234-6922

University of Bridgeport
126 Park Ave.
Bridgeport, CT 06604
Tel: (800) UB-CHIRO (822-4476)

American Chiropractic Association
1701 Clarendon Boulevard
Arlington, VA 22209
Tel: (703) 276-8800

American Association of Chiropractic Colleges
4424 Montgomery Avenue Suite 102
Bethesda, MD 20814


Genetic Counselor

Genetic counselors are health professionals who provide information, advice, and support to individuals and families who may be at risk from genetically transmitted diseases, disorders, and birth defects. The massive international effort to map all human genes has been virtually completed as of the year 2000 and tests for specific genes are widely available. Should individuals avail themselves of such tests? What do the results of these tests mean? What options are available to individuals who have such "defective" genes? The answers to these questions are not simple, and involve an understanding of genetics, statistics, psychology, ethics, law, and sociology. This is the province of the genetic counselor.

Training is available at the M.S., M.D., Ph.D., M.D./Ph.D., and post-doctoral level.

REQUIREMENTS: For someone with a bachelor's degree wishing to apply to an M.S. program, a knowledge of genetics, statistics, and psychology is essential. A biology or psychology major with some additional elective courses will provide an excellent starting point. Some programs require or recommend courses in Biology, Chemistry, Embryology, Developmental Biology, Genetics, Molecular and Cellular Biology, and Statistics. Programs also may want to see shadowing/intern experience or counseling experience.

Albert Einstein College of Medicine of Yeshiva University
Jack and Pearl Resnik Campus
1300 Morris Park Avenue
Bronx, NY 10461
Tel: (718) 430-2000

Sarah Lawrence College
1 Mead Way
Bronxville, NY 10708
Tel: (914) 395-2371

The American Society of Human Genetics
9650 Rockville Pike
Bethesda, MD 20814-3998
Tel: (301) 571-1825


Health Care Administrator/Health Policy Manager

The health care administrator is the person who coordinates much of what goes on behind the scenes in a healthcare setting, be that setting a major teaching hospital, a nursing home, an HMO, or a dental clinic. Individual health care administrators find themselves in a wide range of career positions from assistant administrators or directors of group practices to directors of HMOs or CEOs of major hospitals.

Health care administrators can be classified into two groups: generalists and clinical specialists. Generalists oversee an entire hospital or HMO or serve as assistants to the chief administrator. Clinic administrators oversee the administration of specialized healthcare services—physical therapy, long-term care, radiology, and the like.

Students who wish to pursue a career in Health Care Administration can study in an accredited undergraduate program in Health Services Administration leading to a bachelor's degree. Some students opt to pursue a liberal arts degree at the undergraduate level and then pursue a master's degree in Health Services Administration.

REQUIREMENTS: Undergraduate courses in Health Policy, Economics, and Business may be helpful.

NYU REQUIREMENTS: GRE or GMAT scores are recommended for the M.P.A. program in Wagner.

MPA in Health Policy and Management
NYU Wagner Graduate School of Public Service
295 Lafayette Street
New York, NY 10003
Tel: (212) 998-7400

Community Public Health, MPH
NYU Steinhardt
35 West Fourth Street, 10th Floor
New York, NY 10012
Tel: (212) 998-5580

Association of University Programs in Health Administration
2000 14th Street North, Suite 780
Arlington, VA 22201
Tel: (703) 894-0940


Medical Science Track

In these programs, students are registered for a master's degree, and they take several medical school classes with first-year medical students. The object is ostensibly to prepare the candidate for research and similar work in the health sciences. It is no secret, however, that many students use these programs fruitfully to improve their chances of admission to medical school (sometimes also to veterinary medical or dental school). There are a number of programs which give students the opportunity to demonstrate that they can handle the course work and then reapply to medical school. Obviously, good grades in the classes show that the student can succeed in professional school. Students are permitted—even encouraged—to apply to medical school and are by no means required to complete the master's programs (some of the programs are for only one year). You would not be exempted from the first year of medical school because you will not have completed the entire first year. Exemption from the particular courses already completed is entirely at the discretion of the medical school of matriculation.

Two words of warning: A student considering this approach should bear in mind that the probable reason for his or her original nonacceptance to medical school was grades. Is it realistic to expect a significant improvement in the upcoming year to cause a medical school to change its opinion? Every other student in the program is going to be in a similar situation, trying equally hard. Only a small percentage will actually gain admission. For this reason it would be wise to enroll only in those programs which, should you still not be admitted to medical school, provide you with some extra qualification which you can use in an alternative career, should that be necessary.

Drexel University College of Medicine
Medical Science Programs
245 North 15th Street, Mail Stop 344
Room 4122 NCB
Philadelphia, PA 19102-1192
Tel: (215) 762-4692

Georgetown University
"Biomedical Graduate Education"
3900 Reservoir Road NW, Box 571411-G
NE303 Medical-Dental Building
Washington, DC 20057-2197
Tel: (202) 687-3690

Georgetown University
Special Masters Program in Physiology
RM 237 Basic Science Bldg
Washington, DC 20057
Tel: (202) 687-7979

University of Medicine and Dentistry of NJ
Master of Science in Biomedical Sciences

New York Medical College
Master of Science in Basic Medical Sciences
Valhalla, NY 10595
Tel: (914) 594-4000

Albert Einstein College of Medicine
Master of Science in Clinical Research
1300 Morris Park Ave
Bronx, NY 10461
Tel: (718) 430-2000


Mental Health Counselor

Mental health counseling is a distinct profession with national standards for education, training and clinical practice. The American Mental Health Counselors Association (AMHCA) is the professional membership organization that represents the mental health counseling profession. Clinical membership in AMHCA requires a master's degree in counseling or a closely related mental health field and adherence to AMHCA's National Standards for Clinical Practice.

Graduate education and clinical training prepare mental health counselors to provide a full range of services for individuals, couples, families, adolescents and children.

Mental health counselors practice in a variety of settings, including independent practice, community agencies, managed behavioral health care organizations, integrated delivery systems, hospitals, employee assistance programs and substance abuse treatment centers.

REQUIREMENTS: Licensure requirements for mental health counselors are equivalent to those for clinical social workers and marriage and family therapists - two other disciplines that require a master's degree for independent status.

A licensed mental health counselor has met or exceeded the following professional qualifications:

  1. Earned a master's degree in counseling or a closely related mental health discipline
  2. Completed a minimum of two years post master's clinical work under the supervision of a licensed or certified mental health professional
  3. Passed a state-developed or national licensure or certification examination.

Department of Applied Psychology
Steinhardt School of Education East Building, Suite 400
239 Greene Street
New York, NY 10003
Tel: (212) 998-5555

American Psychological Association
750 1st Street. NE
Washington, DC 20002-4242
Tel: (202) 336-5500

American Mental Health Counselors Association
801 North Fairfax, Suite 304
Alexandria, VA 22314
Tel: (703) 548-6002
(703) 823-9800 ext: 281


Nutritionist, i.e. Dietician

Nutritionists and dieticians plan nutrition programs and supervise the preparation and serving of meals for such institutions as schools, hospitals, hotel chains, and prisons. They help prevent and treat conditions such as hypertension and obesity by promoting healthy eating habits.

To become a registered dietician, you must complete an academic program and a clinical training component of roughly six months in duration before sitting for the registration exam. There are several different ways in which you can complete the requirements to become a Registered Dietician (R.D.); for a student with a B.A. degree, however, earning a master's degree in nutrition appears to be the most sensible approach.

Students who do not major in Nutrition can apply for an M.A. program, which will ask them to complete a 15-course Didactic Program in Dietetics (DPD) before they can start their M.A. work. CAS students may wish to consider completing the Nutrition minor, which will fulfill several DPD requirements.

REQUIREMENTS: Students must be well grounded in biology, chemistry, physiology, and computer applications, as well as social sciences.

Department of Nutrition
NYU School of Education
35 West 4th Street, 10th Floor
New York, NY 10012
Tel: (212) 998-5580

College of Physicians & Surgeons
Institute of Human Nutrition
630 West 168th Street
Presbyterian Hospital
15th Floor East, Suite 1512
New York, NY 10032
Telephone: 212 305 4808
Facsimile: 212 305 3079

American Dietetic Association
216 West Jackson Boulevard Suite 800
Chicago, lL 60606-6995
Tel: (800) 877-1600


Occupational Therapist

Occupational therapists are specialists in helping people recover from or deal with the physical, emotional, and social effects of an illness or injury, including Alzheimer disease, the effects of a stroke or heart attack, arthritis, repetitive stress conditions, or developmental disabilities. They help people improve or regain their basic motor functions, reasoning, and ability to perform activities of daily living (such as dressing, bathing, cooking, or driving) to help them achieve as much independence as possible.

A bachelor's degree in occupational therapy is the minimum requirement for this field, though students already holding a liberal arts B.A. would generally be best served by earning a master's degree in Occupational Therapy.

REQUIREMENTS: Students applying to the master's program in Occupational Therapy should usually have taken the GRE and the following courses at the undergraduate level:

  • Basic Statistics (1 semester)
  • Introduction to Sociology (1 semester)
  • Psychology (3 semesters, including Introductory, Developmental, and Abnormal Psychology)
  • Anatomy and Physiology (1-2 semesters)

Some schools may require Biology with Lab; others may recommend General Chemistry or Physics with Lab.

NYU REQUIREMENTS: The OT program at NYU requires Developmental Psychology, Abnormal Psychology, 1 semester of behavioral sciences (Anthropology, Psychology, or Sociology), Human Anatomy & Physiology (2 semesters), and Statistics.

Department of Occupational Therapy
Steinhardt School of Education
35 West 4th Street, 11th floor
New York, NY 10012
Tel: (212) 998-5825

American Occupational Therapy Association
4720 Montgomery Lane
Bethesda, MD 20814
Tel: (301) 652-2682



The primary source of ocular care in the United States, optometrists help people who have diseases, injuries, and disorders of the eyes and associated structures. Doctors of optometry may work in private practice, hospitals, industry, research, the military, and community centers.

There are eighteen schools of optometry in the U.S., Puerto Rico, and Canada. Application deadlines vary widely from school to school. You certainly should gain experience and exposure to this health profession by working in a vision center or optometrist's office.

REQUIREMENTS: At least three years of undergraduate education; schools show a strong preference for applicants with a bachelor's degree. You are very strongly advised to complete your baccalaureate degree before proceeding to Optometry School. Applicants must take the Optometry Admissions Test (OAT), which has sections on Natural Sciences (Biology, General Chemistry, and Organic Chemistry), Reading Comprehension, Physics, and Quantitative Reasoning.

Undergraduate pre-optometry study requires the following courses:

  • Biology with Labs (2 semesters)
  • General Chemistry with Labs (2 semesters)
  • Organic Chemistry with Labs (1-2 semesters; we urge taking the full sequence)
  • Calculus (1 semester)
  • Statistics (1 semester)
  • Physics with Labs (2 semesters)
  • Writing and English (2 semesters)

Some schools also require courses in Microbiology, Psychology, Social Sciences, Biochemistry, and Physiology. Other schools recommend courses in Anatomy and advanced Biology. You should consult school websites, as well as the reference booklet Schools and Colleges of Optometry: Admissions Requirements. A copy of this book is kept in Silver 901 for students to consult.

SUNY State College of Optometry
33 West 42nd Street, 11th Floor
New York, NY 10036
Tel: (800) 291-3937

American Optometric Association Educational Services
243 North Lindbergh Boulevard
St. Louis, MO 63141
Tel: (800) 365-2219

Association of Schools and Colleges of Optometry
6110 Executive Blvd., Suite 510
Richville, MD 20852
Tel: (301) 231-5944



Pharmacists dispense medicines and drugs prescribed by physicians, dentists, and podiatrists. They advise patients and doctors about the effects and strengths of both prescription and over-the-counter medications, including selection and dosage.

You do not necessarily have to have an undergraduate pharmacy degree to be eligible for a graduate degree in pharmacy. Most pharmacy schools break their education into two parts: two years of "preprofessional education," and a subsequent period of "professional studies." A student with an undergraduate degree including the regular prehealth curriculum generally would be accepted as a transfer student directly into the professional part of the program. (The Pharm.D. requires 2 years of undergraduate preprofessional coursework followed by 4 academic years (3 calendar years) of professional study.)

However, students should carefully research the admissions policies of pharmacy schools that interest them. Some of these schools prefer to admit most of their students as freshmen right out of high school, and therefore have only limited seats available for transfer students who have completed a liberal arts degree and wish to enter the professional phase of a Pharm.D. program.

REQUIREMENTS: Most schools require the Pharmacy College Admissions Test (PCAT). The preprofessional requirements vary from school to school, but the following are essential:

  • Biology with Labs (2 semesters)
  • General Chemistry with Labs (2 semesters)
  • Organic Chemistry with Labs (2 semesters)
  • Calculus (1-2 semesters)
  • Physics with Labs (2 semesters)
  • Writing and English (2 semesters)
  • Humanities and Social Science electives

Some schools may also require courses in Physical Education, Statistics, Anatomy, Physiology, Microbiology, and/or Public Speaking. You should look at the book Pharmacy School Admission Requirements, which is kept in Silver 901 for students to consult.

Ernest Mario School of Pharmacy
Rutgers University
160 Frelinghuysen Road
Piscataway, NJ 08854
Tel: (732) 445-2675

Arnold and Marie Schwartz College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences
Long Island University
75 DeKalb Avenue at University Plaza
Brooklyn, NY 11201
Tel: (718) 488-1011


College of Pharmacy & Allied Health Professions
St. John's University
8000 Utopia Parkway
Jamaica, NY 11439
Tel: (718) 990-6362

School of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences
University at Buffalo
126 Cooke Hall
Buffalo, NY 14260
Tel: (716) 645-2823

American Association of Schools of Pharmacy
1426 Prince Street
Alexandria, VA 22314
Tel: (703) 739-2330

Pharmacy College Application Service
P.O. Box 9109
Watertown, MA 02471
Tel: (617) 612-2060


Physical Therapist

Physical therapists seek to prevent the onset and/or slow progression of conditions resulting from injury, disease, and other causes. They provide help with daily functioning to accident victims, amputees, and individuals with conditions such as cerebral palsy or arthritis. They use exercise, ultrasound, and other methods to relieve pain and increase the range of mobility, and to help patients adjust to the use of crutches, wheelchairs, and prosthetics.

Physical therapy can be studied at either the undergraduate level or the graduate level. Those students who already have a liberal arts degree have two options: earn a second bachelor's degree in Physical Therapy, or apply to an entry-level graduate program. NYU offers a three-year entry-level clinical Doctor of Physical Therapy (D.P.T.) program. Acceptance into PT programs is very competitive.

Irrespective of which of these two pathways you choose, the requirements are basically the same and include observation of a PT practice and a letter of recommendation from a physical therapist. Applicants should generally plan on taking the GRE and the following courses:


  • Biology with Labs (2 semesters)
  • General/Inorganic Chemistry with Labs (2 semesters)
  • Physics with Labs (2 semesters)
  • Anatomy & Physiology (1-2 semesters)
  • English and Writing (2 semesters)

Some schools may also require or recommend courses in Psychology, Organic Chemistry, and/or Biochemistry.

NYU REQUIREMENTS: NYU's D.P.T. program requires applicants to have taken all of the above, plus Speech Communication (1 semester), Statistics (1 semester), and 3 Social Science courses, including Psychology (1 semester). Organic Chemistry or Biochemistry is recommended (1-2 semesters).

Steinhardt School of Education
Department of Physical Therapy
380 2nd Avenue, 4th Floor
New York, NY 10003
Tel: (212) 998-9400

American Physical Therapy Association
1111 North Fairfax Street
Alexandria, VA 22314
Tel: (800) 999-2782



Doctors of podiatric medicine perform most of the functions of physicians, but their treatment focuses solely on the feet and lower legs. Upon completion of the doctoral degree, students may enter a one- to three-year residency or a one-year preceptorship. There are a number of specialties including sports medicine, surgery, pediatrics, geriatrics, and orthopedics/biomechanics. Students with a particular interest in sports medicine or surgery should give this field very serious consideration.

There are seven podiatric schools in the U.S., located in California, Florida, Illinois, Iowa, New York, Pennsylvania, and Ohio.

REQUIREMENTS: Applicants must take the Medical College Admissions Test (MCAT) and have a minimum of 90 credit hours with an acceptable GPA. 90% of applicants have completed a bachelor's degree. Undergraduate prepodiatry study requires the following courses:

  • Biology with Labs (2 semesters)
  • General Chemistry with Labs (2 semesters)
  • Organic Chemistry with Labs (2 semesters)
  • Physics with Labs (2 semesters)
  • English/Writing (minimum of 2 semesters)

New York College of Podiatric Medicine
1800 Park Ave
New York, NY 10035
Tel: (212) 410-8089

American Association of Colleges of Podiatric Medicine
1350 Piccard Drive, Suite 322
Rockville, MD 20850
Tel: (800) 922-9266


Recreational Therapist

Therapeutic Recreation Specialists, often referred to as recreational therapists, work with individuals who have mental, physical or emotional disabilities. Select activity modalities are utilized to treat or maintain the physical, mental and emotional well-being of their patients. These interventions help individuals remediate the effects of illness or disability and achieve an optimal level of independence. The goals of interventions include improving physical, cognitive and social functioning.

A degree in Therapeutic Recreation (or in Recreation with an emphasis in Therapeutic Recreation) is required to be considered for jobs in clinical settings such as hospitals or community mental health facilities.

REQUIREMENTS: Academic programs in therapeutic recreation emphasize course work in the Physical, Biological, and Behavioral Sciences and Recreation and Leisure Theory. Relevant courses include: Anatomy, Psychology, and Art. Some states require a certification examination. They also require a minimum of 360 hours of internship under the supervision of a Certified Therapeutic Recreation Specialist.

St. Thomas Aquinas College
125 Rte 340
Sparkill, NY 10976
Tel: (845) 398-4000


American Therapeutic Recreation Association
1414 Prince Street Suite 204
Alexandria, VA 22314
Tel: (703) 683-9420

National Council for Therapeutic Recreation Certification
7 Elmwood Drive
New City, NY 10956
Tel: (845) 639-1439


Science/Mathematics Educator

Students interested specifically in the health professions should give serious consideration to the teaching of science and mathematics for two reasons: 1) the teacher-student relationship is similar to that of the doctor and patient, and 2) both involve proficiency in and enjoyment of the sciences. For those uncertain of their commitment to the health professions, science teaching provides an opportunity to hone further the appropriate skills and develop a solid track record in the "helping professions."

Science educators usually major in a science at the undergraduate level, and some may go on to graduate work in their field. A core of education courses, student teaching, and a certification test set the science educator apart from science students who are not prepared for teaching. Usually science educators seek to become certified by the state in which they live, as this leads to a broader range of teaching opportunities and to higher salaries.

REQUIREMENTS: A bachelor's degree in math or science with completion of one of the Education minors. You can visit Silver 901 or 905 or for information on these minors.

NYU REQUIREMENTS: NYU's accelerated 14-month M.A. program requires a bachelor's degree in math or the sciences, completion of an Education minor, and a strong GPA.

Steinhardt School of Education
239 Greene Street, Suite 200
New York, NY 10003
Tel: (212) 998-5200

National Council of Teachers of Mathematics
1906 Association Dr.
Reston, VA 20191
Tel: (703) 620-9840

National Science Teachers Association
1840 Wilson Blvd.
Arlington, VA 22201
Tel: (703) 243-7100


Social Worker

Clinical social workers are prepared to counsel teenagers, help neglected children, work with people dependent on alcohol or drugs, assist members of a broken family, and improve the quality of life for the chronically ill, the elderly, and the disabled. They may work in hospitals, the public sector, clinics, or private practice.

NYU offers a 2-year program and a 16-month accelerated program.

REQUIREMENTS: Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution with at least 60 credits of liberal arts, an undergraduate GPA of 3.0, and a demonstrated commitment to community service and organizations dedicated to humanistic values. NYU undergraduates may pursue the Social Work minor.

NYU REQUIREMENTS: 60 liberal arts credits and volunteer or work experience in related fields are required.

NYU Silver School of Social Work
1 Washington Square North
New York, NY 10003
Tel: (212) 998-5910


National Association of Social Workers
750 First Street NE Suite 700
Washington, DC 20002-4241
Tel: (202) 408-8600


Special Education Teacher

Teachers of special education provide educational services to individuals with disabilities. They help students of all ages develop the skills to be successful and independent in school and their community. Most special educators work in schools, but some are employed as specialists in hospitals and residential programs.

REQUIREMENTS: Those interested should contact the department directly regarding program requirements for undergraduate and master's degrees.

NYU REQUIREMENTS: Applicants must have teacher certification or be willing to enroll in a dual certification program. NYU offers a 12-14 month fast-track M.A. option.

Program Director of Special Education
Department of Teaching and Learning
Steinhardt School of Education
239 Greene Street, Suite 200
New York, NY 10011
Tel: (212) 998-5200

National Clearinghouse for Professions in Special Education
110 North Glebe Road Suite 300
Arlington, VA 22201-5704
Tel: (800) 641-7824


Speech Pathologist

Professionals in this field provide evaluation and rehabilitation for persons with any of a full range of communication disabilities and will engage in research into normal and disabled communication. They work in hospitals, schools, and communication laboratories, and provide primary service in private practice. Licensure requires at least a master's degree in speech pathology.

REQUIREMENTS: Those interested should contact the department directly. Recommended courses may include Biology, Behavioral Sciences, Math, and Physical Sciences. Graduate programs typically require a minimum GPA of 3.0.

NYU REQUIREMENTS: Applicants must submit two letters of recommendation and may be invited to a group (or phone) interview. Additional courses may need to be taken (that do not count toward the M.A.) if you do not have a background in the field.

Department of Communicative Sciences and Disorders
Steinhardt School of Culture, Education, and Human Development
655 Broadway, 9th Floor
New York, NY 10003
Tel: (212) 998-5230

American Speech-Language-Hearing Association
1081 Rockville Pike
Rockville, MD 20852
Tel: (800) 498-2071