The Undergraduate Curriculum Committee (UCC) evaluates all new courses to be offered for credit by the College of Arts and Science (CAS), whether at the Washington Square campus or at an NYU global site. It also reviews all new majors and minors, as well as changes/revisions to existing majors and minors. Contact Dean Armanda Lewis for questions about major/minor proposals.
2020-21 NEW MAJOR/MINOR PROPOSAL DEADLINES:
- September 1, 2020
- October 1, 2020
- November 1, 2020
- February 1, 2021
- March 1, 2021
- April 1, 2021
HOW TO SUBMIT A NEW MAJOR/MINOR PROPOSAL:
1. Contact Associate Dean of Academic Affairs, Armanda Lewis (email@example.com), for a brief consultation about proposed new major. or minor CAS requires completion and approval of the CAS Curriculum Planning Template (go to File --> Download) and the CAS New Program Proposal form prior to proposal submission to the UCC. We will also work with the University Program Committee (UPC) for the preparation of a Memo of Intent and the Office of the Provost to establish a timeline for NY State approval (for new majors only).
2. Download the CAS New Program Proposal (click here to download). The proposal draft should be approved by CAS prior to submission to the UCC.
3. Submit your proposal on NYU Classes: click Resources on the left, look for the (Month) 2020 or 2021 UCC Drop Box folder, create a folder for your department, and upload your proposal form and syllabus. The September 2020 UCC Drop Box can serve as your guide.
4. The UCC will review the revision proposal and the faculty co-chairs of the UCC will send you an email with its decision. The UPC Memo of Intent can also be reviewed during this time.
5. Proposals that the UCC approves will go into a report for final approval at the next full FAS faculty meeting.
6. Minor and major proposals are submitted to the University Program Committee (UPC) for NYU-level approval. Minor proposals are officially approved after this step (go to step 8).
7. For new majors only: CAS Academic Affairs will work with the department and Office of the Provost to submit to NY State. These major proposals are officially approved only after NY State approval is finalized.
8. The Office of Academic Affairs submits approved revisons to the Registrar for entry into Albert.
9. CAS Academic Affairs updates CAS Bulletin and department starts to advertise new program.