What’s the writing requirement?
That depends on your school! Every NYU undergraduate has a writing requirement. Students in CAS, Steinhardt, Nursing, Silver, Tandon, and the majority of students at Stern fulfill their writing requirement with EWP.
- College of Arts and Science: EXPOS-UA 1 Writing the Essay. Must be completed with a grade of C or above. Students who receive a grade of C- or below must take the Writing Proficiency Exam.
- College of Nursing: EXPOS-UA 1 Writing the Essay and ACE-UE 110 The Advanced College Essay: Education and the Professions.
- Tandon School of Engineering students must complete EXPOS-UA 1 Writing the Essay and EXPOS-UA 2 The Advanced College Essay: School of Engineering.
- Silver School of Social Work: EXPOS-UA 1 Writing the Essay and ACE-UE 110 The Advanced College Essay: Education and the Professions.
- Steinhardt School of Culture, Education, and Human Development: EXPOS-UA 1 Writing the Essay and ACE-UE 110 The Advanced College Essay: Education and the Professions.
- Stern School of Business: EXPOS-UA 1 Writing the Essay.
- Tisch School of the Arts: EXPOS-UA 5 Writing the Essay: Art and the World and ASPP-UA 2 The Advanced College Essay: The World Through Art.
- International students at any of the schools with requirements in the Expository Writing Program may take EXPOS-UA 4 International Writing Workshop I and EXPOS-UA 9 International Writing Workshop II in lieu of Writing the Essay. Consult your advisor for information about your recommended placement.
Students in Liberal Studies have a two-semester writing requirement that they fulfill as part of the Liberal Studies Core Program.
Students in the Gallatin School of Individualized Study take a first-year writing seminar and a first-year research seminar as part of the First-Year Program.
Which writing course do I take?
We tried to answer this question above! It depends on your school, and also whether or not you’re an international or transfer student.
Here is more information about International Writing Workshops.
I’m a transfer student; does my writing course credit allow me to place out?
For more information about transfer student requirements.
How do I make an appointment at the Writing Center?
For more information about the EWP Writing Centers at 411 Lafayette and Dibner Library, please go to the Writing Center page. You can book an appointment online, and both locations also offer drop-in consultations.