The postbacc community is comprised of students who participate in activities and take on leadership roles in the organization of events and opportunities for their fellow postbaccs. Their unique community at NYU is headed by The Postbacc Advisory Council (PAC) which was created to give the postbacc community a voice and presence. PAC has several subcommittees which provide additional programming for postbaccs.
Postbacc Advisory Council (PAC) Subcommittees:
- Academics: Provides resources that help postbaccs achieve academic success during the program. They serve as liaisons with, and often tutors in, the University Learning Center. They also provide postbacc-only review and study sessions.
- Mentorship Program: The Mentorship Program was put in place to introduce new students to their postbacc community, as well as to help them acclimate to a new program in NYC. Each semester current postbacc students volunteer to be mentors and are then paired with newly admitted postbacc students. Mentors meet with their mentees to answer questions about the program and provide guidance on the classes. This relationship is maintained throughout the first year in the program and beyond, and serves as a great way to strengthen the postbacc community at NYU.
- Postbacc Literary Review (PLR): Serves to explore, expand upon, and enhance the academic curriculum. This is achieved through engaging with current medical research and discussion-based panels with medical professionals and current medical students. Topics of discussion have included: ethical considerations in practice, mental health, microbiome, and others.
- Social and Philanthropy: Aims to promote a healthy work-life balance among NYU postbaccs, in addition to participating in service activities in the surrounding NYC area. The social aspect of this subcommittee organizes opportunities for postbaccs to get to know each other outside of the academic setting. Events have included: going out to eat, study breaks, and excursions around New York City. The philanthropy aspect organizes opportunities for postbaccs to give back. Activities have included: making sandwiches for the homeless, donating toys for children, volunteering at the NY Common Pantry, and annual participation in the NAMI walk.
- Wellness: Promotes healthy living among postbacc students through physical and educational activities. These activities have included: yoga classes, spin classes, community jogs, picnics, and lectures provided by nutritionists.
- Social Media: Students and alumni of the program are also connected through social media platforms. We have accounts on Instagram and Facebook, as well as a page on LinkedIn. This PAC member also oversees the Google Calendar so postbaccs can see in one place different events going on within the program and/or prehealth community.